Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tightwad Tracey-Tis the Season

I think it was three Christmases ago (and I'm not sure I spelled that right) I decided to make jewelry for all the females in my family.  It was something that I learned to do and really enjoyed and wanted to share with them.  Last year I made Christmas wreaths and homemade sugar scrubs and lotion.  I can't tell you what I'm making this year (maybe after Christmas) because then they will know.

I am saying all of this because, I hate to shop!  Especially this time of year.  You never really know what to get anybody and prices are ridiculous on things that aren't built to last.  So I decided to go "old school" on everyone.  It was hard at first because I really didn't spend that much money at all.  And I thought everyone, even those I didn't "make" for would be like "she is such a tightwad, she couldn't even spend money for Christmas gifts" but I don't think anyone said that, at least I didn't hear anything.  I really wanted to do this, and what I did spend was time.  Isn't time more valuable than money?  I told them that first year that this was going to be the new norm from us.  They were going to get something handmade every year.  I would love if Christmas and gift giving, in general, would go back to those days when you made something for everyone and in return got something handmade.  Maybe I am on a one woman mission to make that happen in my family.

Some advice:
  • We all have a talent of some sort.  It may hidden deep in there, but it is there none the less, find it.
  • Look at craft stores for ideas.
  • PINTEREST!!! is crammed full of ideas.  You could spend weeks finding things on that website alone and never get to the end of it.
  • Recycle, up cycle or whatever cycle you can do.
No, you may not save money all the time, but you will feel like you gave a gift worth giving.

Until next time, stay blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Me tooo! I think that is so much better and I am a gift love language girl. This year I did the photo tiles and Danielle and I made tile coaster things, from her, on our girl date. It was fun and I am hoping this is our new norm as well. I'm back on pinterest and hoping to learn to crochet so I can make son knits next year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to start on mine. Cannot say it on here!

    ReplyDelete