Monday, July 13, 2015

Ahhhhh!!!! Self-Control

Self-control is the ability to control oneself, in particular one's emotions and desires or the expression of them in one's behavior, especially in difficult situations.

I will be honest, I really struggle with self-control.  I guess I have adopted the mentality of the "me" generation.  I know it is not a very good character trait but I have been unsuccessful in the past in trying to overcome this.  

My main struggle is with food.  My time revolves around it and it's not carrots and lettuce, it's more like cookies and ice cream.  I don't know how many times I've been on a diet or how many times I've "started over" on a diet.  I actually quit telling people when I was going to start something new because I didn't want to admit failure when I quit.

I'm not sure what changed.  I can't remember what triggered the thought in my head.  What I do remember is showing up at work one day and mentioning that I may want to start a Wednesday night class at church on how God feels about food.  I figured I would get looked at like was insane and I could say at least I tried.  Wouldn't you know that one of the girls had the Made to Crave study by Lysa Terkeurst.  I was told I could start any time.  They said yes!  I said, what was thinking?!  Now I have to be accountable to what the video says since I am heading up this study.  I really don't think I can do!

In her study she talks about starting an eating plan.  One that was pretty drastic.  You can read the book if your interested in her story.  I figured there was no way I could do this alone.  I decided to see a nutritionist.  I never considered it in the past.  But as of right now, I'm pretty glad I did.  I have been going for five weeks now and I have lost 9 pounds and 15 inches (from measurements taken from my neck to my thighs).

Has it been easy?  Not always, but that is my point to this post.  Self-control is not something you can acquire on your own.  I learned through the Made to Crave study some really important scriptures and prayers when struggling with cravings.  And believe me, there were a few days I wanted to bury myself in chocolate and soda.  But because I have allowed God to help me, I can now turn down a delicious dessert or big plate of pasta and not walk away feeling deprived.  

Ahhhhh!!!!!!  So freeing!

Until next time, stay blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment