Tuesday, June 9, 2015

My Five Year Plan Came Four Years Early

It was around this time last year. I was sitting at a friends pool and we were discussing our five year plans.  We seem to always plan when we are together and it's really fun.  If we followed through with everything, it's hard to say where we would be now, but we dream together and follow God as He either opens doors or makes completely different paths.

My five year plan went like this:
Seth would be finished with homeschooling, so I would probably start looking for a job, because college isn't cheap.  My dream was to go back to work at our church as the bookkeeper because I had done that job before and I love the working environment.  I had talked to the current bookkeeper more than once about this and she said she would probably be retiring by then.  There it is.  Easy peasy!  It was either that or I was going to try to get on at our local fabric store or convince a friend to go in with me and open some sort of hippie oil store.

That was probably early June.

July rolled around and life was good by the pool.  We were solving the worlds problems and all was well.  Then I got a phone call that I really didn't expect or even dream would happen yet.  It went something like this-we need a business manager and we want it to be you.  Um...what?  I don't know how to manage business!  But I felt like I needed to make a decision right then.  I didn't feel like I had to time to pray about it and Scott had told me that day not to call or text him at work because he was going to be in meetings.  The only thing I had was peace (and I knew it was God's peace).  I knew that it was only going to be two days a week and Seth is good with his school work.  So I figured, sure.  My answer is yes.  Things happened slow and fast at the same time.  The cool part, it was my church.  Where I planned to be in five years.  I figured I'd work two days a week for the next five years and then when the bookkeeper retired I would have the option to do that too.  I was surprised how much accounting I needed to remember and I couldn't believe what I did keep stored back in those rusty file cabinets in my brain.

I started in August.

Then January of 2015 rolled around and the bookkeeper decided to retire!  Wait!  The phone call went like this.  She is leaving, what are you going to do?  Um...I'm scrubbing my bathtub right now, let me think about this.  This wasn't the plan!  It hasn't been five years yet!  What am I going to do?  I don't want to miss out on this opportunity but can I sacrifice the time from home?  Between the two of us, we were working 36+ hours a week.  I knew that couldn't happen.  I will just have to figure out how to do it in less hours.  

I really feel like God put me at the right place at the right time.  He knew what the future was.  He knew I would be capable of doing it.  So what. My five year plan happened four years early.  I am learning that as long as I rely on God to guide my path, no matter what, He won't lead me somewhere dangerous.  I love my job.  It is rare that you work with people that inspire you to be better.  It is rare that you get to have a job that if you need to stop everything and pray, they will join in a circle with you and pray.

My job title now is Business Manager/Bookkeeper.  That is added to homeschooling teacher/mom/wife/domestic engineer.  I look pretty important on paper.

Until next time, stay blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment