Monday, June 1, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend 2015



Memorial Day weekend was packed so full of events that I was kind of pouting inside that I wasn't going to get to go camping and relax.  But in the midst of my inner moping these are the things that God allowed me to witness.

Friday night was Meghan's high school graduation.  (She is our middle sons girlfriend).  Her mom found out a month ago that she had stage three colon cancer and had surgery and is now going through chemo.  During the ceremony, there were several students that were giving their favorite quote and why.  The one that received the highest applause was one given by a girl that gave a quote from the bible that she used while dealing with her mother having cancer.  It was Philippians 4:13,  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  I realized at that point that Meghan and her mom are relying on that promise as they walk through this.  The surgery removed the cancer and she is now cancer free!

Saturday evening we went to an Alumni dinner.  My mother-in-law invited us because my father-in-law was being inducted into the PHS hall of fame.  Before introducing the person, they went through a complete history of that person.  I realized during that time that I am lucky to be surrounded by parents and stepparents and in-laws that are God fearing, Godly people.  Needless to say, they are pretty awesome folks.

This is Austin and my brother, Bob.  Austin is autistic.  He has had some very serious struggles, especially in the last couple of years.  Bob really thought he was going to lose him not long ago because of an unexplained illness.  My brother and I used to be really close.  He had been there for me through a very tough time in my life.  Things happened, and I really don't even know what, that has separated us for several years.  He randomly invited me to Austin's birthday party.  I got up Saturday morning, the day of the party, and was a little nervous.  I hadn't seen Bob for a while and I was meeting his new fiance for the first time.  It may not seem like a big deal to some, but to me, it was.  I know that God is going to restore our relationship.  And my nephew turned 17!  He is really funny because you never know what he is going to say.  

I'm really proud of my brother.  He has been through some really tough circumstances in the last several months but has kept his cool, something I'm not very good at.  But I think tough problems make you realize who is really there for you and I will always be there for him.

And you know what?  I still got to enjoy some campfire time.  I also got to enjoy a really long bike ride.  Something I have found that I really love.  It is loud, so I am forced to be quiet for little while.  That's pretty relaxing.

Until next time, stay blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment