Monday, August 19, 2013

Expectations of the First Day of School

Today we started our first day of school for the 2013-2014 school year.  This is the first year I've actually started when the public schools have started.  I think in the past I started late just because I enjoy being rebellious.  But since Brody was starting classes at the Votech Center I decided it was only fair to start Seth when he started.

So here is what my plan was, emotionally, physically and educationally...

  • Get up @ 5:00 am
  • Get Scott's breakfast and lunch packed
  • Unload/reload the dishwasher
  • Wake Scott up by 5:30
  • While Scott is in the shower straighten the 1st floor
  • Get Brody up by 6:30 to leave by 7:00
  • Exercise/shower
  • Get Seth up by 8:00 and have breakfast
  • Me and Seth straighten 2nd floor and basement--gather garbage and laundry (Seth feed pets and shower)
  • School 9-11
  • lunch and clean-up--run dishwasher if needed
  • Motivated Moms schedule--try to finish by 1:00
  • Use rest of the day for crafts, hobbies, deep cleaning/organization, play dates, run errands, projects, blogging.
What really happened...

  • Get up @ 5:00 am
  • Get Scott's breakfast and lunch packed
  • Unload/reload the dishwasher  I got it unloaded but still haven't reloaded it yet and it 12:30
  • Wake Scott up by 5:30
  • While Scott is in the shower straighten the 1st floor  Didn't even think about it actually.  Brody got up early and I chatted with him while Scott was in the shower.
  • Get Brody up by 6:30 to leave by 7:00  He was already up.
  • Exercise/shower Seriously!  What was I thinking.  I did put on a sports bra around 10:30, does that count?  And I haven't showered yet.  I'll get to it before Scott gets home.
  • Get Seth up by 8:00 and have breakfast  Since I went back to bed until 10:00, yes you read that correctly, Seth didn't get up until 10:30.
  • Me and Seth straighten 2nd floor and basement--gather garbage and laundry (Seth feed pets and shower)  We'll get to it when we get it.
  • School 9-11  We did have school!  
  • lunch and clean-up--run dishwasher if needed  We did eat lunch!  Still haven't 
  • Motivated Moms schedule--try to finish by 1:00  I still have time.  At this point it is almost 1:00.
  • Use rest of the day for crafts, hobbies, deep cleaning/organization, play dates, run errands, projects, blogging.  I'll get here eventually.
Seth wasn't super excited for school like I had envisioned but Brody came home excited and actually wanted to do Math.  We did almost a whole chapter in Geometry.  A subject that I never did understand and math is something that Brody has always hated.  We both understood the content!  Oh well.  All in all, we had a good first day of school.  I am not going to beat myself up because things didn't go as written.  It's more about the quality of the day.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great first day!!! I think we have our expectations high, but what I've read and what people (like you!) have told me is that homeschooling is different. Yes, we have to care for our house and eventually run the dishwasher, but the lessons will be learned through the quality time. I love that you and Brody had some quality time before he started votech. That's great!! And you DID do school with Seth! Yay! Now I'm inspired to blog about my first day...

    ReplyDelete