Friday, September 2, 2011

I'm Back

I never really left, but I have been super busy these last few weeks.

Last Friday a friend and I, with our husbands, went to a produce auction.  What a blast!  I have never been to one of these and really I have never bid on anything in my life, so this was an anxious yet pleasurable day.  I went with list in hand and of course you get there and the list secretly grows.  I had no idea what I was willing to pay for things, I left that up the Charli, after all, this wasn't her first auction.  We came home with so much stuff I couldn't believe it.  I knew once I got there that I would be canning for what seemed like forever, but I had no idea.  I am finished, but wow.  This is what I put away for the winter and until it is gone:

35 quarts of sweet potatoes
39 pints of pepper butter
30 pints of peppers and sauce
16 pints plus 12 quarts of pepper jelly
40 quarts of corn
27 pints of applesauce
I froze 12 pints of sliced peppers and 12 whole peppers (for stuffing).
I also have 40 pounds of red potatoes.  If they start going bad before we eat them, I will can them also.

Would I spend a week of 6-8 hour days on my feet cleaning and cutting and burning my fingers again, you can count on it.  Was it worth it?  Oh yes it was.  I love to go to my basement and look at all the pretty jars filled with yummy food.  If you come over and visit I might just share a jar of the pepper jelly with you.

We are going to start school next week.  I can't believe it but my older boys are actually asking if we can please start school.  Maybe this will be a good year.

Until next time, be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment